Sydney based Jewellery & Object designer and maker

The men who inspire & aspire

Art...craft...design... what ever you would call it, I see the creativity in and around my life to be one of the most important factors in shaping the person I am today.

I love being in the environment.
I love the variety of people involved within the field.
I love seeing other creative work done.
I love making.
I love designing.
I love pressing the shutter button.
I love waiting for the photos to develop.
I love being part of the existence of a work that I've created.
I love how my work brings about emotions to others.

Okay, enough about how much I enjoy the creative side of my life...
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a couple of
men who have inspired me to push further & bring out the possibilities of the person I live to be each and every day. Not just on creative terms, but as a person.


First to mention is Oliver Smith.
I was introduced to Oliver when I first started art school, majoring
in Jewellery & Object Design @ SCA. At this point I had no idea what art & design was... to be honest, I'm not quite sure if I still do... However, throughout the couples o
f years @ SCA, it was Oliver whom introduced me the art of metalsmithing (technique I mostly use to create my works) and thus allowing me to create works in which best depict my personality and thoughts. He's also been someone I'd goto if I had any problems as well as being my supervisor during my honours year.

Oliver SMITH
"Dorsal Knife (Sterling Silver)"

"Fondue (Sterling Silver/Monel)"


Next person to mention is Hyun-Seok Sim.
The relationship with Hyun-Seok, I find quite unique.
We first met when during my honours year of my studies when he came to Sydney as a visiting artist @ SCA. During he's stay, we shared the same room and our work-benches were next to each other's, so we had the chance to spend a lot of time getting to know each other. For me this was very important.
Having grown up in Australia but with a Korean background, my education has been quite western driven. Not that theres anything bad at all about this, but meeting Hyun-Seok allowed be to think about the Korean heritage and culture surrounding my works and beyond. It was almost like having a mentor & a big brother. I was able to learn and gain so much from listening, seeing and absorbing what he had to say and he's work practice.

Hyun-Seok SIM

"Handmade Pinhole Camera (Sterling Silver)"

"Handmade Pinhole Camera (Sterling Silver)"

"Handmade Pinhole Camera (Sterling Silver)"

"Handmade Pinhole Camera (Sterling Silver)"

"Chair Brooch (Sterling Silver)"

"Brooch (Sterling Silver)"

"Brooch"


Final person to mention is Brock Elbank.
Brock works as a professional photographer and out first meet was very random but has now developed much more than random.
(Long story short, Brock approached me for a shoot for one of he's long time projects about Beards. At the time, I had a weird beard look going on...) Anyways, after this, I had mentioned that photography was a big part of my interests and curiosities and he kindly offered that I work in assisting him if I'd want and I'd be a fool to say no....specially when this Brock photographer shot with a Hasselblad..... Ha... jokes apart I went home to check out he's images and profile and immediately felt that I could really learn and gain sooo much.
To be honest, theres a huge gap in my knowledge as regards to photography.
I just enjoy taking photographs fullstop. I love capturing moments and having that evidence. Photography is an area in which I want to take much further than just a hobby.
I'm currently assisting Brock and each and every shoot is a learning curve for me. He is someone who is very much passionate about what he does and has a strong pride about it. He is not scared about what others think and is always willing to step out of boundaries in order to get the shot he needs & wants. This I very much admire.

Brock ELBANK

"Electrical Art: Play God"


"Two fingers to Bondi"

"Black"


This is the most I've written ever since my honours thesis.... However, I wanted to dedicate this blog session in mentioning these three men whom have shaped(ing) and influenced(ing) my creative life. This is important to me and my work as it is the foundation to anything and everything I create.

0 Comments: